The Light that Heals – The Medical Therapeutic Laser
by Dr. Jane Baxley
For several years we have been treating patients at White Oak Chiropractic with the Cutting Edge MLS Laser – one of the most powerful and technologically advanced medical therapeutic lasers available today. Now used by many orthopedic surgeons, pain management M.D.s, podiatrists, and chiropractors, the Cutting Edge Laser is remarkably powerful and effective, helping to heal a wide range of painful conditions.
How Safe Is It?
The Cutting Edge Laser is a healing laser, not a surgical laser. It is fully approved by the FDA and is extremely safe with no known side effects when administered correctly. Most people feel nothing during the treatment – some people feel a pleasurable warmth. But right after the treatment, your pain or inflammation will usually be much less – often reduced by 50% or more.
What Can It Treat?
Because the Cutting Edge Laser stimulates healing of the cells – at the most basic level of the body – it can be used to treat a very large range of conditions. Over 3,000 research studies have demonstrated success using laser therapy to treat: herniated discs, sciatica, neuropathy, degenerative arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, car accidents, sports injuries, tendonitis in the arm or shoulder, rotator cuff injuries, sprains, plantar fasciitis, gout, carpal tunnel, shingles, pain after surgery, wounds that won’t heal, and many other conditions.
How Does It Work?
Over 50 years of research has discovered that laser therapy has a wide range of healing effects:
- Heals Damaged Tissue. The body can heal itself in many ways. But cells can become too injured to repair themselves, often leading to chronic pain. The Cutting Edge Laser sends billions of photons of light deeply into the injured tissue. This starts the production of ATP (adenosine-tri-phosphate), which is the major carrier of cell energy and the energy source for all chemical reactions in the cells. The newly produced ATP stimulates the functioning of cells, tissues, and systems and even raises overall vital energy throughout the body. Cell reproduction and growth speeds up and the tissues heal. Laser therapy has been demonstrated to help regenerate bone, blood, the lining of blood vessels, cartilage, nerves, and muscles. Even herniated discs, torn rotator cuffs, or torn meniscus in the knee may heal painlessly – with little or no time off from work.
- Relieves Pain. The Cutting Edge Laser decreases nerve sensitivity and blocks pain immediately. Also, by decreasing inflammation, it reduces pain caused by swelling. It also causes the brain and adrenal glands to produce high levels of pain killing chemicals like endorphins and enkephlins.
- Reduces Inflammation. The Cutting Edge Laser greatly reduces inflammation and swelling caused by arthritis, sprains, and bruising. It increases circulation, opens the blood vessels, and activates the lymphatic drainage system.
- Heals Wounds and Burns. Laser light stimulates fibroblast development in damaged tissue. Fibroblasts are the building blocks of collagen, the essential protein required to replace old tissue or to repair tissue injuries. As a result, the Cutting Edge Laser is very effective on open wounds and burns.
- Dissolves Scars. The Cutting Edge Laser reduces the formation of scar tissue from surgery, cuts, scratches, or burns.
- Creates New Capillaries for Healing. The Cutting Edge Laser significantly increases the formation of new capillaries in damaged tissue – drawing water, oxygen, and nutrients to the damaged area. This speeds up the healing process, closes wounds quickly, and reduces scar tissue.
- Reverses Neuropathy. Damaged nerves usually heal very slowly, causing numbness, weak muscles, and physical impairment. The Cutting Edge Laser will speed up the process of nerve cell regeneration and reconnection – and increase the amplitude of nerve signals to strengthen muscle function and recovery.
- Relaxes Chronic Muscle Spasms. Laser therapy painlessly stimulates acupuncture points and melts away muscle knots, relieving pain very quickly.
- Recover From Surgery Faster. Cutting Edge Laser therapy has been shown to reduce postsurgical pain and inflammation allowing people to heal, recover, and return to normal activity sooner.
How Is It Different From Other Healing Lasers?
The Cutting Edge MLS Laser is capable of delivering many times more healing energy than the most powerful devices of the previous generation of lasers – Class III ‘Cold Lasers’, or Low Level Laser Therapy. More power can mean shorter treatment times, less therapy needed, immediate pain relief, and accelerated healing.
Plus, this innovative laser introduces a technological breakthrough for laser therapy – the “Multi-wave Lock System” (MLS), which brings together two types of lasers – continuous and pulsed — into one new therapy. The continuous laser reduces inflammation and swelling. The pulsed laser relieves pain. The unique, patented MLS control system combines and synchronizes the two lasers and makes them reciprocally reinforce each other, to produce more powerful results in a shorter time.
How Many Treatments Will I Need?
Usually 6 treatments for an acute condition and 10 for a chronic condition. Maintenance treatments every 4-6 weeks may be recommended for chronic conditions. Most people feel results immediately. Results are cumulative and will only improve with time.
Are Treatments Covered by Insurance?
Currently, only a few health insurance programs are covering laser treatments. But the cost is very low compared with other medical treatments such as surgery or corticosteroid injections. For some conditions I will recommend that we also use the gentle but powerful system of whole-body correction called Advanced BioStructural Correction (ABC) — for even faster results. I am Certified in this system, and many times it is covered by health insurance.
A Remarkable Case of Healing
A 44-year-old man came to the office with severe pain in both knees, which had been limiting his life dramatically for more than 5 years. He was not able to run, bike, swim, squat, go upstairs comfortably or play with his two children. The pain was at a near-constant 7/10 level and no medical treatments had helped. Cortisone shots had decreased the pain for only three weeks. He had even had arthroscopic surgery to clean up a meniscus on one knee, but that didn’t help the pain either. His x-rays showed only minimal degeneration in his knees. He came back to the clinic after his very first 15-minute laser treatment and declared, “It’s a miracle. I have no pain. I ran for the first time in ten years.” He was released after five more treatments, stable and pain-free, able to do all the activities he had been missing for so long. This, of course, is an unusual case – but it is an example of how much the Cutting Edge Laser can change lives.
Please call if you have more questions. I am happy to give a free consultation to see if treatments with the Cutting Edge Laser would be right for you.